Despite the fact that this blog has been filled with fun, amusing posts, I've decided that it's finally time to get down to the facts and target some pressing issues that are pertinent to today's times. In all seriousness, let's be serious. With that said, I've decided to post a rather controversial topic that may leave some feeling upset and others alarmed as the small shell they call their "world" may be turned upside down. Nevertheless, the heated topic of Caribou Coffee VS. Starbucks will now commence.
Before unraveling my review, I must attest to the fact that I am NOT a coffee expert; however, I would consider myself a "deliciously sweet, overpriced blended coffee drinker connoisseur." Therefore, I will only be reviewing the blended coffee drinks known as a "cooler" at Caribou Coffee and a "frappuccino" at Starbucks. As many of you know, I am a dedicated Caribou Coffee fan; however, I promise that my thoughts will be unbiased and simply a matter of my own findings. My review has been broken down into several components:
1. APPEARANCE
a. drink appearance - I ordered my first Starbucks drink a few weeks after moving to Fort Collins. After receiving my drink, I was shocked at the familiar appearance. The blended drink inside the cup was a rather appealing beige, caramel-like color with cloud-like whipped cream floating on top. The whipped cream was then drizzled with ooey gooey caramel and placed inside a clear cup. If I were to base this review solely on the look of the drink itself, Starbucks and Caribou would be on an even plate; however, I am also going to discuss the design of the cup as well as the size.
b. size - After I examined the appearance of the drink, I then began to focus on the size. I couldn't believe how tiny the "tall" frappuccino (Starbucks' version of a small) really was! I was almost positive it was smaller than Caribou Coffee's small. I researched the information and discovered that a tall frappuccino contains 12 fluid ounces and a small cooler from Caribou Coffee contains 16 fluid ounces.
c. cup appearance - Although there are many people who believe a person shouldn't judge a book by its cover, I'm not one of them (and I have definitely read my fair share of books). In regards to the Starbucks cup, it is simply the Starbucks logo which depicts some type of sea creature which many refer to as a mermaid or siren. The design is clean, simple, and great for advertising as almost anyone can identify it. On the other hand, Caribou Coffee's cup currently contains a variety of inspiring quotes, sayings, etc. in fun, different fonts. I can't help but really enjoy reading these little blurbs on my coffee cup while I sip my drink.
As I'm sure you know, the price of just about anything can change depending upon your location. The cost of a small caramel cooler from Caribou Coffee in Rochester and most areas in Minnesota is $4.10. This price includes tax, but it does not include the 10 cent discount from the question of the day.
On the other hand, a "tall" frappuccino from Starbucks costs between $4.20 and $4.25 with tax in Colorado. Therefore, a frappuccino from Starbucks not only costs more than a small cooler from Caribou Coffee, but you would also receive less. Definitely not cool.
3. TASTE
In my opinion, taste is the most important aspect of any food product. It's what makes us enjoy certain foods more than others, and it even causes us to dislike foods as well. With that said, I'm going to do my best to describe the taste of both drinks.
The frappuccino is good and encompasses both flavors of coffee and caramel. The drink is blended nicely, with little chunks of ice. Moreover, the whipped cream is light and fluffy, but tastes a tad artificial. Despite the aformentioned good qualities of this drink, the overall taste is far too bitter for my liking. The blended coffee tastes almost burnt and doesn't exhibit the freshness that I so enjoy.
On the other hand....
The caramel cooler from Caribou Coffee is light, airy, and perfectly blends the sweet flavor of caramel and the wonderful, rich aromas of coffee together into a harmonious union. The drink is literally the perfect comfort drink in my book.
So, in closing, I must say that Starbucks' frappuccino is decent, and I can understand why some people enjoy it. However, It definitely doesn't compare to a caramel cooler from Caribou Coffee. The wonderfully sweet, perfectly blended taste is incomparable to any other blended coffee drink and reigns supreme.
![]() |
At the Denver Airport enjoying a caramel cooler from Caribou Coffee. :-)
|
By the way, if you actually read this entire blog entry, Congratulations! I commend you on your efforts. :-)

No comments:
Post a Comment